Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Star Trek Enterprise shot is bothering me.

OK, I'm posting this here, because it can loosely be interpreted as a tip.
I love the new Star Trek trailer. I'm really looking forward to the movie. However, there is one shot that is bothering me. It's the shot of the Enterprise being built. No, I'm not a Trekkie who has some issue with a change in design or anything like that. My problem is that I don't feel like I'm seeing something real.

Here's the shot in question.

This is a screen grab from the trailer. When I see this shot, I feel like he's riding his bike up to a big painting. Part of this is because it's all in perfect focus. But also, I think it's because it doesn't feel big enough. This thing should be massive, but feels like it's about the size of a Macy's Parade balloon. That thing's details should be barely visible through the atmospheric haze, if you ask me.
So I did some quick touch-ups to the pic, and came up with this, which I feel emphasizes the sense of enormity that it should bring to the viewer. Let me know if you think I'm right or wrong.



EDIT: I just did a rough After Effects comp to try and better illustrate my point and I put the shot back into the sequence.

1 comment:

boob said...

Lookit you showin' up Hollywood! I completely agree. I remember that trailer and I remember it feeling a lot like a painting. Nice fixer upper!